I don't make cookies very often, but when my mom sent me this recipe for Hamantaschen, I couldn't resist. These bring back great memories of being a kid, making cookies with my mom, and eating way way WAY too many of them. The dough only takes a few minutes to make and tastes amazing. Happy Purim, and enjoy these delicious cookies!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Filling of choice: solo brand, jams or homemade
- Cream softened butter and orange rind together.
- Gradually add sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg and orange juice. Beat well.
- Sift dry ingredients together. Add to egg mixture and mix until well combined. You will have a soft dough.
- Wrap in saran wrap and chill until cold, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll dough out on floured surface until about 1/8" thick.
- Cut into circles with cookie cutters or drinking glass.
- Fill with about 1 Tablespoon filling and fold, pinching into a triangular cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until browned.
I was in a hurry when I got the filling, so I just went with blackberry and raspberry jams. Apricot and poppy seed are two other favorites.