Today's recipe comes courtesy of the Hungry Girl web site. Sarah sent me an e-mail with this recipe early in the week, after getting wind of it from her friend Alison. Even though neither one of us had really had butternut squash before, I decided to give it a shot this weekend, and I wasn't disappointed at all. Another great healthy recipe that is surprisingly easy to make. I used a food processor instead of a blender, and I doubled the recipe because of the size of the casserole dish I had available (also, because I bought twice as much squash as I needed and I have no idea what else to do with it).
HG's Cheesy Butternut Bake
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 wedges The Laughing Cow cheese, Light Original Swiss, room temperature (I used Garlic & Herb)
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place squash in large microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup of water. Cover and microwave for 6 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, uncover and drain water. Set aside.
- Place onions in a small microwave-safe dish with 2 tbsp. water. Cover and microwave for 3 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, uncover and drain any excess water. Set aside.
- Place squash and all other ingredients except for the onions in a blender. (Make sure squash cubes are not still piping hot.) Pulse until thoroughly mixed (but not liquefied). Remove blender from the base, and then stir in the onions.
- Transfer squash mixture to a small casserole dish sprayed with nonstick spray. Place in the oven, and bake for 35 - 40 minutes (until edges begin to brown). Then serve with a spoon as you would mashed potatoes! Enjoy!