A few days ago, someone posted a link to 24 Awesome Muffin Tin Recipes. I knew as soon as I saw it that I was going to have to try a few of them, and this one came up first on my list. Not a lot of ingredients, flavors I like, and very simple prep. While mine didn't come out quite as pretty as the ones shown on the page, I'll probably make them again. I've modified the recipe slightly to use a little less spinach and a little more egg.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (for cooking the mushrooms)
- 8 ounces fresh spinach
- 5-6 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package mini-bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1-2 Tablespoons whole milk or half-and-half (optional)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Grease the muffin pan well.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Saute the mushrooms until they are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic to skillet and cook an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Place the spinach in the skillet. Add ¼ cup water. Cook over medium heat, just until wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Use either your hand or a spatula to pack in the spinach. Drain the excess water really well.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until combined. Add the cooked mushrooms, spinach, cheeses and milk (if using) to the eggs. Mix well. Season to taste.
- Divide evenly among the 12 muffin cups. Bake for about 20-23 minutes, or until it's well set and a tester/toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I used sharp cheddar cheese. The original recipe recommends Italian cheeses, but they were just fine with sharp cheddar!