No, that's not a typo. As soon as I saw this recipe for waffled falafel, I knew I had to give it a try. I used my own hummus recipe and the falafel mix from the bulk section of my grocery store. I might try making the falafel mix in the original recipe sometime in the future, but I figured the falafel mix would give me a good enough idea of whether it was worth it or not. The verdict: YES! A great supplemental use for the waffle iron, and falafel that's healthier than usual because it's waffled instead of fried.
- 1 box falafel mix
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, mix falafel mix, flour, and water as instructed on the box. Let sit for 15 minutes, then add more water if needed to ensure mix will stick together.
- Heat waffle iron to medium heat.
- Spray top and bottom of waffle maker with nonstick spray. Place ¼-½ cup of falafel mix on each side of the waffle iron, spreading as evenly as possible.
- Close waffle iron and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove fawaffle and repeat with remaining mix.
- Serve with hummus.
I didn't quite put enough water in my mix, and the result was still tasty but a little bit on the crumbly side. I'll add a little more water next time.