- 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- ½ cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup toasted wheat germ
- ¼ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup dried apricots
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup pitted dried dates
- ½ cup powdered nonfat dry milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients except the syrup and eggs in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped.
- Add the syrup and eggs and pulse until the mixture is well combined. It will resemble a coarse paste.
Transfer to the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake until just done, about 20 minutes. Cut into 20 squares.
Several comments on the original recipe recommended leaving half of the sunflower seeds and almonds out until you add the syrup and eggs, to add a better texture. I did this and will definitely do it again.
The variations on this are pretty much endless. I added some dried cherries, because I had them sitting around. Other things that are suggested in some of the comments: adding at least half a banana in place of one egg, using honey instead of syrup, adding ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, and adding fresh or frozen berries.