I've been on a bit of a turmeric kick lately, and sockeye salmon was on sale yesterday, so I went looking for a recipe that combined the two. I adjusted this recipe to make more than one serving and voila, dinner was served! Fairly easy recipe, and the results were pretty good. I think the lemon was a little on the too tart/bitter side, but overall I think I'll make this one again.
Baked Lemon Turmeric Salmon
- 1 pound salmon fillet
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons ice cold salted butter (sit stick in a bowl of ice for at least ten minutes)
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 390°F.
- Cover a 9x13" glass baking dish with foil and add salmon fillets.
- Coat salmon with turmeric and dried thyme (or herbes de provence), then sprinkle with salt.
- Add thin lemon slices over the salmon.
- Using a fine grater, carefully grate ice cold butter over the lemon slices and salmon until it is coated in a thin layer. (This step seems strange but important, so don’t skip it.)
- Cover salmon with aluminum foil, and place in oven.
- Cook for 30 minutes, then remove and eat!
You might want a little more salt and maybe even a little sugar/honey to sweeten it up a little bit.