Before you make this recipe, here's what I want you to do: Go find your favorite brownie recipe. It might be from a box, it might be a family recipe handed down from generation to generation. Take a good look at it, maybe even make it one last time. Enjoy your memories of that recipe, because once you try these brownies, you'll never make your old ones again.
Best Brownies Ever
- 1 pkg. (18.25 oz.) chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup chopped nuts ( Optional )
- 1 cup Evaporated Milk
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
- 35 (10-oz. pkg.) caramels, unwrapped
- 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine cake mix and nuts in large bowl. Stir in 2/3 cup evaporated milk and butter (batter will be thick). Spread half of batter into ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Heat caramels and remaining evaporated milk in small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until caramels are melted. Sprinkle morsels over brownie; drizzle with caramel mixture.
- Drop remaining batter by heaping teaspoon over caramel mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
This may be the only time I'll ever say this, but the center brownies are better than the edges in this case. The caramel is thicker in the middle and didn't quite make it all the way to the edges.