I saw this recipe on Tastespotting during one of their competitions. It sounded like it'd make great football food, so I decided to try it. I'm usually not much of a mushroom fan, but I'm ok with them when they're cooked and these came out really tasty. I didn't take a picture, because mine didn't look nearly as pretty as the original post they came from, but I'll most likely be making these again.
Buffalo and Bue Cheese-Stuffed Mushrooms
- Olive oil
- 20 button mushrooms
- ¾ cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ lb Great Hill Blue Cheese or other mild blue cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup Frank’s RedHot Sauce
- ½ cup + ¼ cup panko, divided
*Additional Frank’s RedHot Sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F, and place a rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems. Cut ends from stems and chop finely. Chop two of the mushrooms finely as well.
- Dice shallots. Melt butter in a heavy 4 qt pan and add shallots. Sauté over medium-low heat until transparent and then add chopped mushrooms and stems. Saute until softened and remove pan from heat.
- Stir in blue cheese, Frank’s sauce, and 1/2 cup panko, stir until smooth.
- Grease a cookie sheet with olive oil. Brush mushroom caps with oil and spread out on cookie sheet.
- Fill each mushroom cap with a spoonful of the cheese stuffing, letting it mound just slightly on the top of the mushroom.
- Sprinkle the remaining panko over the top. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until mushrooms are soft. If you have a broiler, feel free to turn it on for a minute or two to crisp up the top, but watch it carefully.
- Serve with additional hot sauce.
I bought regular white mushrooms and had about half a cup of the shallot/cheese/mushroom mixture left over after stuffing the mushrooms as full as I dared.