I have to admit, I really like chickpeas. They're incredibly versatile in recipes, they're good on salad, and they're remarkably healthy (basically pure protein and fiber). A couple of months ago, roasted chickpeas suddenly became all the rage. I never really looked at any of the recipes though, because I thought it sounded complicated. Imagine my surprise when I found this recipe today, while searching on tastespotting.com for garam masala recipes. 4 ingredients? 5 minutes of prep time? Sign me up! These are a great snack, and would be awesome on a salad in place of croutons. I can't wait to try them again with some other spices (chili powder and curry powder both sound amazing).
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Drain the chickpeas in a colander and rinse very well. Let them dry for 5 minutes or so, then place them in a big bowl.
- Add the olive oil, Garam Masala and sea salt. Toss until the chickpeas are evenly coated.
- Spread them out on a rimmed cookie sheet so that they’re not overlapping, then bake for 40 - 45 minutes, tossing the pan occasionally. They’re done when they’re crisp and crunchy.
Garam Masala is an Indian spice mix. I used this blend from penzeys.com, containing Moroccan coriander, Tellicherry black peppercorns, cardamom, Korintje cassia cinnamon, kalonji, caraway, cloves, ginger and nutmeg.