I found this recipe while browsing cookinglight.com. It gave me an excuse to make my homemade salsa, and it sounded tasty, so I went ahead and tried it. Overall, a pretty good recipe. Sarah and I both agreed that it needed a little more salt though.
- 1 (10-ounce) baking potato
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 chipotle pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese, drained
- 3 tablespoons grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- Pierce potato with a fork; place on paper towels in microwave oven. Microwave at high 5 minutes or until fork pierces potato easily, turning potato after 3 minutes. Wrap in a towel; let stand 5 minutes. Peel and mash potato.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; add quinoa and salt. Cook 15 minutes; drain.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and chipotle; sauté 1 minute. Add cumin, oregano, black pepper, and garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Combine potato, quinoa, onion mixture, cottage cheese, and cheddar cheese in a bowl, stirring well. Let stand 5 minutes; stir in egg.
- Shape potato mixture into 10 patties. Carefully dredge each patty in panko. Place on a baking sheet. Cover and chill 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in skillet over medium heat. Add 5 patties to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and patties.
I think next time I make these, I'll cook 3-4 at a time instead of 5 to give them a little more room in the pan.