I know what you're thinking: That must be a typo. Cottage cheese? In enchiladas??? The first time I saw this recipe, I thought it looked odd, but figured it was worth a try. It quickly became our favorite enchilada recipe. Keeping with the trying to cook healthy trend, I use low fat cottage cheese (2%), low fat sour cream, low fat cheese (2%), and low sodium taco seasoning mix.
Cottage Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves - boiled and shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
To Make Meat Mixture: Heat oil in medium skillet over medium
high heat. Add chicken, onion, green chile peppers and chipotle peppers and saute until browned,
then add taco seasoning and prepare meat mixture according to package
To Make Cheese Mixture: In a medium bowl mix sour cream with cottage cheese and season with salt and pepper; stir until well blended.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
To Assemble Enchiladas: Heat tortillas until soft. In each tortilla place a spoonful of meat mixture, a spoonful of cheese mixture and a bit of shredded cheese. Roll tortillas and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with any remaining meat and cheese mixture, enchilada sauce and remaining shredded cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Turn on the broiler for the last 2-3 minutes for best results!