This weekend brought another revisited recipe. The only major change I made to this recipe was that I used my own homemade vegetable stock (link below, in ingredients). The first time I made this recipe, I didn't post the ingredients or directions or a picture. This time, I'll do all of that. Enjoy!
Quinoa Risotto with Spinach and Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 2 cups chopped, stemmed spinach (or arugula)
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely shredded
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and quinoa and cook for about 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Don't let the garlic brown.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the quinoa is almost tender to the bite but slightly hard in the center, about 12 minutes. The mixture will be brothy. Stir in the arugula, carrot and mushrooms and simmer until the quinoa grains have turned from white to translucent, about 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the cheese and season with the salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional information (per serving):
|Calories||147||Monounsaturated fat||1 g|
|Protein||8 g||Cholesterol||3 mg|
|Carbohydrate||23 g||Sodium||292 mg|
|Total fat||3 g||Fiber||2 g|
|Saturated fat||1 g|